Tuesday, June 14, 2016

THIS MUST STOP



I have been reading the media reports on the Stanford Rapist. I say rapist, because that is what he is. He is many other things of course, but let’s call a spade a spade here.

I am sad, angry and disgusted at the sentence he’s received. It is unjust and unseemly. I felt like I wanted to throw up when I read it.

I was going to say nothing about this as I think it’s gotten too much media attention already; and the hate and vitriol that has been blasted all over the Internet and social media is enough to make one want to give up on humanity. I almost did, but I will not.

I cannot keep quiet about this. People’s voices must be heard who have experienced this trauma.

It is because of white, Anglo-Saxon privilege that men like this are getting away with abuse of many kinds. IT MUST STOP.

The more this is hidden, the more prevalent it has become – and will continue to be. This is more common than people think. It lurks in the back corners of family history, politics, entertainment, religion. THIS MUST STOP.

I have had enough of patriarchal oppression. I believe that is what has put me in this wet paper bag. I fight every day to get out of it – even though I don’t live it anymore. Now, I want to fight for everyone else who has to fight their way out of their own wet paper bag. I am here. I am with you. I am listening.

This shit is real people. Do not say or tell me that it is not.

Chances are we all know someone who has been violated in one form or another. One in three women will experience some form of abuse in their lives. One third. That number is too high for me. It should be too high for society as a whole to accept.

NO ONE asks to be assaulted or abused in any way shape or form. NO ONE EVER “asks for it.” EVER.

Being drunk is not an excuse. Being high is not an excuse. Being attracted to someone is not an excuse. Promiscuity is not an excuse. Being at a party is not an excuse. Being an athlete does not give anyone permission to violate another person’s body. Being rich does not allow anyone to take whatever they want. Neither does being poor.

We must all be taught to respect ourselves, our bodies and respect others. This must be taught early and continued to be taught throughout our lives.

RAPE MUST STOP.

I cannot stress enough that we must be more, do more and say more to stop this. IT MUST STOP. TODAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment